What style do you like out of all the protective styles that are available at present time? A lot of people like crochet braids with kanekalon hair out of all the kinds available. Are you familiar with crochet braids? Basically, this is a type of hairstyle that involves placing hair extensions that can be styled in different ways. Contrary to popular belief, crochet braids have been used by women for a long period of time. It is not a new trend. This is one hairstyle that a lot of women love because it is convenient and can slash preparation time in half.
This is one type of hairstyle that people choose if they do not want the traditional weave. With crochet braids, the natural hair will be set into cornrows and the hair extensions will be crocheted on the hair strands. If you want to take a break from styling your hair every day, this can be a good style to try. The hair will look natural and realistic at the same time. You can tell if the crochet braids are done properly if they do not look much different from natural hair and other people cannot tell the difference. The key factors here are to properly crochet the hair strands and to choose the right hair extensions or weaves.
There are different types of hair that can be crocheted on the natural hair strands. Have you checked the types of hair that you can use? You will come across a lot of kinds so it may be a bit complicated to make a decision. Perhaps after searching for different types of hair, you have become interested in Kanekalon hair and you want to know more about it.
What is Kanekalon Hair?
This is a type of synthetic hair that you can use as your hair extensions. This is made out of 100% fiber so you can be sure that it will resemble real human hair. The best thing about this type of hair is that there are different styles that are available. You can have a wide array of options for the colors that you are going to use. There are even some ombre hairstyles available if in case you want to have a different look from your usual.
Styling Kanekalon hair is also easy to do. While they have some varieties that are naturally curly or straight, they also have some that you can style in whatever way that you want. This involves placing the Kanekalon hair in hot water before styling. There are also some types that you can crochet directly on to your hair.
How to Do Crochet Braids with Kanekalon Hair
There are some things that you can do in order to do crochet braids properly:
- Remember that your hair should be prepared for crochet braids and you can do this by shampooing your hair with a protective shampoo. You also need to apply conditioner to your hair for about half an hour. Depending on your conditioner, you may or may not rinse it off.
- You also need to place some coconut oil on your hair to ensure that it will stay moisturized for a long period of time. While you will be able to properly maintain your scalp while you have crochet braids on your hair, you need to have all the moisture you can get. Do not forget to remove the excess water from your scalp.
- You need to blow dry your hair because it needs to be completely dry before you start placing the Kanekalon hair.
- You can divide the pack of Kanekalon hair into two but there are also some who divide the pack of Kanekalon hair into 4 depending on the type of hairstyle that you want. Even before you place the hair on your scalp, you can style it first so that you simply need to crochet it. In order to prepare the hair extensions, you would need to wash it with a light and non greasy product. Wash it similarly to how you wash your hair and style it properly.
- Once your hair is ready, you can already start with placing the hair on your cornrows. Be sure about the braiding pattern that you are going to do. The beehive braiding pattern will allow you to have bangs but this braiding pattern will not be too useful if you plan on doing a completely different hairstyle.
- You would need to have a crochet needle or a bobby pin in order to weave the Kanekalon hair on the cornrows. It would depend on you which one you will find easier to use. If you plan on using the crochet needle, make sure that you have more than one so that it will not break.
- You would need to focus on one side of your hair first so that you can place the crochet braids properly. You need to start from left to right then the other side of your hair, you need to do the opposite so you are going to start from right to left.
- You can allot about 2 hours or more in order to install your hair properly. If you would try to finish your hair immediately, you may have poor looking crochet braids. This is not something that you want to happen especially because crochet braids that are poorly done are evident. You do not want your knots to show.
- Comb your hair with the use of a wide toothed comb. You can then decide if you want to have curly hair or straight hair. A lot of people decide to have curly hair that looks similar to their natural hair but if you want, you can always have super straight hair that you can style in different ways.
- Scrutinize your hair and decide if you are happy with how your hair looks. You may make some adjustments depending on how thick or how thin you like your hair to be. You may also want to cut the hair like how you would cut your natural hair.
How to Maintain Crochet Braids with Kanekalon Hair
Now that you have crochet braids with Kanekalon hair, you may be wondering how you are going to keep the style of your hair. When you go out, you simply need to fluff it out in order to make it look more natural. When you are about to sleep, use a satin cloth (people usually use satin scarves) in order to protect the hair. In the morning, the satin cloth can be removed. Hot water and oil may be sprayed on the scalp so that it will be moisturized just enough.
If you have curls on your Kanekalon hair, you may be required to re-curl them after two weeks. This is not too much work especially if you used to curl your natural hair before every day before you leave for the office or before you go to an event. Besides, you are not going to apply heat on your natural hair so you will keep your hair protected. Here are other tips to remember:
- When combing through Kanekalon hair, make sure that you will use a wide toothed comb. This will get rid of the tangles that may start to form especially if you have been wearing the Kanekalon hair for more than a month.
- You can steam the hair in order to make it more moisturized. Having moisturized hair will make the hair strands look more natural looking and will not get tangled with your other hair easily.
- It may be harder to maintain your hair strands during colder months so you are recommended to place a leave on conditioner on your hair before you sleep at night to lock in the moisture. Using coconut oil in the morning can help too if you want to make your hair look sleek and shiny.
- If in case you would like the Kanekalon hair to last longer, you may start wearing them curly after about 3 weeks. This is applicable if you have worn your hair straight for weeks. Aside from having a different look, you can increase the length of time that you are going to have the hair.
- While you may want to increase the amount of time that you are going to have Kanekalon hair on your scalp, remember that you are not recommended to have them for more than 2 months. If you have already gone beyond two months, remove them or have them removed by a professional.
You have to remember that same with all types of hair extensions, there is a limit to how long you can wear them on your hair. While no one is forcing you to remove them after the recommended two month period, you will be jeopardizing the health of your natural hair if you would not take them out to let them breathe. You want to prevent the breakage of your hair as much as possible so just follow the maintenance tips that are mentioned above.