How much do you know about the pompadour? You may only be familiar with it because you know someone who loves sporting this type of style. A lot of men think that they cannot sport this type of hairstyle because of their hair’s texture or their hair type.
If you think this way too, remember that the pompadour has changed so much over the past decades. What used to be a style that only some men can wear has become highly versatile. It can be the hairstyle-of-choice of men who would like to look cool without trying too hard. Without further ado, get to know more about the pompadour.
What is the Pompadour?
You may think that this style is contemporary but the origins of this style started out in France during the 18th century. The name has come from Madame de Pompadour who is the main mistress Louis XV. Even though the haircut has started out as a hairstyle for women, it officially became a man’s hairstyle when Elvis, The King, made this hairstyle famous. The moment that he wore it, other people started to wear it too.
The old pompadour normally has hair that is a bit long on the top portion of the head while the sides have short sides. Over the past years, more and more variations have been done to it in order to accommodate different aspects about you like your face shape, your other features, and even your hair’s texture.
Other than those basic things, you also have to consider how this hairstyle can be ideal when you are working in the corporate field.
Two Types of Pompadour
You have to remember that there are different pompadour styles that will be discussed further later but as of now, let us focus on the two main types from which the different styles are based from.
- Classic – This is the type of style meant to be worn by men who would like to look neat and refined. The hair on the side of the face may be a bit longer than usual but this is to match well with the effect of the hairstyle. The crown of the head is usually filled with hair while the sides are shorter. This is best for men with long face shapes although men with any face shape will look good with this type of pompadour.
- Modern – This is the type of pompadour style that is meant for those who are more experimental. This type of pompadour will be extreme with the sides of the hair made to be very short. This type of pompadour may somewhat look similar to the undercut and this is the reason why it is edgy. It may be worn by men with different face shapes but this will best fit those with round faces.
The main reason why a lot of men like the pompadour is because it is a timeless cut. A lot of men can look good in it provided that they choose the right style for them. If you have not tried this cut yet, it is time to look at the different styles available so you can go to your stylist immediately.
How to Get the Best Pompadour Hairstyles
You cannot expect that you will get the style of pompadour that you want. You should be reminded that there are different styles available. How can you choose the one that best fits you? Here are some tips:
- Research about the different styles that are available so that you can choose a style not only based on how it looks but how good it will look on your hair. There are some pompadour styles that will work better on men with wavy hair or with curly hair. Consider these things before deciding on one particular style.
- Research about the different stylists within your area. It will be easy to choose a random stylist that will cut your hair but what if the stylist is not capable of cutting your hair the way you want it to be cut? It can be a big waste of your time and money.
- The skill of the stylist will determine whether your cut is going to make you look good or not.
- One style does not fit all. It does not mean that just because you have seen the same pompadour hairstyle on someone else, it already means that it will look good on you. Avoid basing the hairstyle that you want on famous celebrities especially if they have different face shapes and different hair textures from you.
12 Inspirational Pompadour Haircuts with Images
Now that you know some tips on how to make the pompadour hairstyle work for you, it is time that you get to know the various styles so you can pick the one that will work best for your needs.
Textured Top Pompadour
This may be slightly different from the normal pompadour that comes with medium-length hair strands. The hair strands here are a bit longer and are normally slicked back. This can work for different hair textures so even if you have straight, wavy, or curly hair, you can wear this style with ease.
Who says that the pompadour hairstyle should look clean and neat all the time? Modern pompadour is rarely this way and this mohawk pompadour may excite you a lot especially if you know that it is going to fit you well.
There is a need for the top portion of the hair to be textured and styled effectively. You may need to use hair products in order to improve your hair’s appearance. The sides of the hair will be in a fade style. A hard part may be placed on one or both sides near the crown portion of the head.
If you would like to keep your parted hair then you can achieve that with this hairstyle. This may be the perfect hairstyle for the man who considers himself hip but does not want a hairstyle that will stand out too much especially in the corporate setting. This may be different from the normal pompadour but this can still make you look neat.
Comb Over Pompadour
This is similar to the classic style of the pompadour but the hair is a bit longer and the hair will be swept towards the side area instead of just combing until it reaches the back portion of the hair. The sides are a bit longer but are buzzed in order to keep the clean look of the hairstyle.
This is the type of pompadour that will have a dramatic part placed on one side of the head in order to emphasize the side part. A lot of people confuse this with the disconnected undercut but the main difference that you will see is how the pompadour is parted and combed over going to the sides instead of going to the back.
Double Parted Pompadour
Do you think that one hard part is not enough order to emphasize your hairstyle? If you feel this way then you do not have to worry because you can choose the double parted pompadour. One hard part will be placed on the usual area then the next part will be situated about half an inch below the first part. This can definitely make you look cool.
This type of pompadour is also known as the modern style pompadour. Instead of the sides being buzzed or bald, the hair on the sides will just be cut with scissors. They will still be shorter than the hair on the crown of the head but they will not be as short as the usual pompadour.
Pompadour High Skin Fade
If you want shorter sides but not to the point that your hair will look disconnected from your beard, you can choose this type of pompadour. Your hair will be thicker on the top portion of your head and it will fade downwards gradually.
Pompadour Taper Fade
The main difference between this type of fade with the high skin fade is that the fade will be tapered on the sides. Expect that the areas near your ears will have less hair as compared to the portion of your head that is slowly going towards the back. It will make a lot of difference
There is nothing wrong with having a more angular pompadour especially if you believe that this is going to fit you more because of your face shape and your hair’s overall texture. Make sure to get a highly skilled barber so that the style will be achieved well.
Pompadour with a Mustache
You may think that all types of pompadour will look good with a mustache but this is not true at all. There are some styles that will look better with a mustache on. There are others that will look better with a beard so make sure that you make the right decision.
Classic Pompadour with Slight Fade
Let us say that you want to have the classic pompadour but this time, you would like the fade to not be so extreme. Do not forget to add some volume to your hair so that it will look amazing with the faded sides.
Managing Your Pompadour
It does not mean that just because you have the style that you want, you can just wash and wear your hair. The pompadour may need a bit more effort so that its volume will be sustained. If you would constantly allow it to be exposed to various weather elements, you can expect that it will flop over. It is bound to look dreadful if you will not protect it.
If you would not do this, then expect to have a bad hair day often. Here are some of the things that you can do to make your pompadour more manageable:
- Have a comb handy. You need to comb your hair whenever a strand gets out of place.
- Find a wax that suits your hair type. No matter how expensive your wax is, if it does not suit your hair, it will not work the way that you want it to.
- Do not go overboard with the products.
- The comb that you are going to choose will depend on your hair’s texture. The coarser your hair is, the wider the teeth of the comb that you are going to use. If you have fine hair, you can use a fine-toothed comb.
If in case you already have thinning hair, do not worry because there are some pompadour hairstyles that will not require your hair to be thick and full of volume. Simply inform your stylist or the barber about it so that the proper style can be chosen for your hair.
Get the Pompadour Hairstyle that Works for You
Gone are the days when the pompadour was referred to as the hair that people have used long ago. This is one hairstyle that was able to surpass all the other fashion trends and has evolved to fit the different textures and needs of the modern man.
It does not matter whether your hair is currently curly, straight, or wavy. It will also not matter that much if your hair is thick or thin. There is bound to be a pompadour style that will work best for you. This is one classic hairstyle with a modern twist that a lot of men would enjoy sporting.